Re: can-o-worms

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Philip Jensen on November 13, 2001 at 15:18:23:

In Reply to: can-o-worms posted by js on November 11, 2001 at 23:30:52:

I may be off base here, but I've noticed with my little Korg tuner that on some notes it finds the pitch right away and on others it takes a little bit longer to discern what pitch I'm playing. I'm talkin' about the times when I actually manage to hit the note cleanly and hold it steadily. This thread got me wondering how our ears compare to that of the tuner. If we have a hard time discerning the exact pitch, does the electronic tuner have a hard time too? Could a tuner then be used to test Joe's hypothesis by noting the time it takes to find the pitch? If correct, the the long throated horn's pitch should be found right away, while with a wide-belled horn the tuner would take a little longer to determine the pitch.
Unfortunately, being tuba poor, this is not an experiment I can conduct. Might be a good idea also to have a second person watch the tuner, which is out of the players view, to avoid some of the potential biases. Maybe an electronics wiz out there could hook up a tuner to some type of timer to measure the exact time, which I presume is too short to use a stopwatch on, but maybe long enough to notice visually.

Follow Ups: