Re: Re: Opinions/anecdotes wanted for UT

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 13, 2001 at 11:24:52:

In Reply to: Re: Opinions/anecdotes wanted for UT posted by Tim C on November 12, 2001 at 00:44:42:

Yes, Sumner Erickson studied with Steve Bryant, but he did most of his studies with Rick Colvin. Nothing against Steve... just setting the record straight.

Gil Corella (of the AF Ceremonial Band) also studied with Steve while at UT.

I have a graduate degree from that institution, but not in music. The music program there is large and diverse, with deep resources and lots of places to play in Austin (particularly if you can do R&B and western swing-type stuff). Austin itself is a large city, much larger than most of the residents would like it to be. Most of them would like it to be no larger than it was when they moved there.

The school is also gigantic--over 50,000 students--with lots of them living on campus. It's not, therefore, isolated like some commuter schools in neighborhoods disconnected from student life. UT also has good performance facilities and an excellent music library.

I can't speak to Steve's teaching, because I've never studied with him, but he has some good students to his credit. And if you want a large music-school and larger university experience, UT will give it to you.

Rick "who has been there, but not done that" Denney

Follow Ups: