Re: Beginner's Milestone (& a question)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy Miller on November 10, 2001 at 21:32:38:

In Reply to: Beginner's Milestone (& a question) posted by Allan on November 09, 2001 at 14:56:08:

First of all...CONGRATS!! I still remember getting through my first book!

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a "tuba mehtod" book that contains a CD of a tuba playing all the tunes. There are beginning band method books that use CDs...Standard of Excellence, Yamaha, Essential Elements, and my favorite, Accent on Achievement.

These all have excellent tunes to jam on! And, as you may know already, the tune is usually done twice...once with an instrument playing the melody, and once with the melody left out so that you have to supply it (at least that's how Accent on Achievement works). It's lots of fun, as I used to do this with my beginners.

There is a "Solo Pro" series put out by Summit where you get a book of solos and a CD. That might be a good idea for you right now...although I'm not sure of the difficulty of the solos, I believe they get harder as you go through the book.

If you happen to live close to a tuba professional (tuba playing band director, college professor, orchestra player), it wouldn't hurt to get a lesson and hear them play some of your material. Copying their live sound would be great for you!

Again, CONGRATS and keep having fun!

Follow Ups: