Re: MW2000?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Herrick on November 09, 2001 at 11:23:12:

In Reply to: MW2000? posted by Martin on November 08, 2001 at 13:08:49:

I'm gonna weigh in here where maybe I should not, but will anyway.

I am one of Sam's contemporaries. Sam and I at times subbed for each other before most on this board were born.

All things being equal, I might have had a bigger name than Sam, but I have not. Maybe at least partly because all things were not equal, or maybe Sam Really was better. This is beside the point, but in any case, Sam has done a lot of good work as a very fine tubist and I take my hat off to him.

Building fine tubas is a very difficult task and what suits one will not suit 2000 others. I have played CSO Yorks when I studied with Jake. I have played Harvey Phillips instruments and repaired and modified his old instruments and some of Mssr Helleberg's as well, and been involved in testing MANY prototypes.

Sam HAS earned having a horn or two produced for him for which he may not have had to hand over cash. He tried a lot of not so good ones, offered his advice and now YOU players have the opportunity to try and/or buy a very wide range of decent instruments made by a number of makers. ( A few maker's still owe me instruments)

For those who wonder why something like a MW2000 or some of th eother top quality/priced instruments cost so much - true craftsmanship comes from gaining the experience of generations before. Perfection is non-definable, but If you ever have the opportunity to play an individually crafted instrument, and ever get good enough to appreciate the sometimes subtle differences between custom built and mass produced, an instrument maker might make one for you and give you a freebies.

In the mean time, go and do some bloody practice! Meanwhile, quit opening your mouths and dribbling shit. You have damned good teachers and instruments available to you - use them and see if you can be even half as good as Sam. Get there, somebody might give you a tuba.

Ken

Follow Ups: