Re: Re: Allow me to vent

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob P-M on November 08, 2001 at 08:25:26:

In Reply to: Re: Allow me to vent posted by js on November 07, 2001 at 22:47:56:

I was thinking the same thing: if the guy had a serious embouchure problem and the teacher is trying to build new muscle memory he may be concerned that extended play will result in your guy falling back into bad habits.

My 13 year old daughter is a trumpet player and is slowly building her endurance. Because she has (according to her teacher, a well-known pro) a classic 'perfect' natural embouchure and plays with almost no pressure (even above high c) unless she's tired, her teacher strongly encourages breaks after half an hour or so, especially when playing high stuff, Eb/D trumpet or piccolo. Not less total playing, mind you, just spaced out so she doesn't get sloppy. Given breaks, she can go 3-4 hours now before she says her lips are just too far gone to continue. Makes sense to me.

In the brass quintet I played in last year, it was always the trumpets who needed breaks first, because they were constantly playing, usually fairly high, with few breaks in the music.

Follow Ups: