Re: Re: Tubists playing Euph.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph on November 26, 2000 at 03:18:30:

In Reply to: Re: Tubists playing Euph..... posted by Jay on November 25, 2000 at 08:09:26:

Go back and reread Joe's comments regarding tubists doubling on Euph. Based on my own empirical evidence his comments are right on. He wasn't referring to pro level playing(which *obviously* will always require a tremendous amount of dedication) and I think you should be able to understand the difference. Those that have developed a modicum of talent at the tuba and have also played euph know what Joe is talking about and understand that there are no grandious claims being made.

Yes, most of us floating about in tuba academia would probably have a beef with the improper use of baritone but outside the tuba world most folks don't even have a clue what a euphonium is. Whilst in the tuba world I think it makes a lot of sense to use proper terminalogy just to avoid confusion. Outside I do my best to educate folks but I do think that perhaps Joe makes a good point when he suggests that we not take this whole name thing too seriously. It is just a name after all.

In the future I would suggest that you choose a different tact if your purpose is to persaude people to your opinion. Try using langauge that is less likely to put others on the defensive. Leave open a positive channel of communication. If you are right and express yourself clearly people will be able to appreciate that. As it is all you've succeeded in doing is lowering your esteem in other's eyes and made it less likely that you will be taken seriously in the future. Your loss.

cheers!
joseph

Follow Ups: