Re: Re: Re: Favorite 6/4 CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on November 22, 2000 at 01:43:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Favorite 6/4 CC posted by Mark in Ohio on November 21, 2000 at 14:11:32:

Yes, the rotor sits on top of the 4th valve slide and will only come into play with the 4th being used. Being used to the 2-step mirafone 5th, this has not caused me too many difficulties as I am not used to the flat whole step and use it only when necessary (Mainly F, D, Db, but also for E and Eb when convenient). If I had my choice I would prefer a factory 5th, however that was not an option open to me. I would suggest this be given some serious thought for any 4 valve bats before doing any major surgery. The entire process is completly reversable.
Based on what I have been told (not experienced this first hand), the sharp bends in some of the 5th valves (both before and after the valve set) can result in stuffiness. Again, as I am becomming more fluent with bats I will be better able to experience this for myself soon. As for the people who "poo-poo" a dependant 5th, the arguement regarding alternatives is fully with merit. But save for two notes not effected by the 5th either way (G and D must be played 1&3), intonation has not presented any problem where alternates involving the 5th would be helpful, which speaks volumes as to the quality of the holton. I am certain that I will discover limits as I forge ahead through the exerpts, but nothing noteworthy yet. I will attempt to post a pic of this later for those who may have an interest. This would be my choice for an older horn (like the Conn recently listed on e-bay), but not for something like Jay's Cerveny.
Hope that answers your question!

Ho

Follow Ups: