Re: Low Brass Ensemble - how to start one.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Randy Mac Iver on November 20, 2000 at 12:39:26:

In Reply to: Low Brass Ensemble - how to start one. posted by Mike Hall on November 19, 2000 at 01:58:32:

Hey Mike,

I have started many low brass ensembles over the years and I have found that the hardest thing about it is being able to keep it going for long periods of time. Unless you have a solid core of players the ensemble will almost always fail. My last ensemble was made up of High School level F Horns, Trombones, Bass Trombones, Baritones, Euphoniums, Eb Tubas, C tubas and BBb Tubas. It lastest two years and added imensely to the schools over all music program but when I left it did not continue. Community groups are even harder to keep going unless there is money involved. Some things that helped me out were as follows:
1. Decide on memebership ie. Middle school, High school, College or community players or anyone.
2.Decide on voices you want to use. I have found that allowing F horns, Trombones, and Baritones gives you the most options so far as tone color and range. This will also make it tough on the director to find suitable arrangements. The easiest has been Tbones and Tubas.
3.Set up a consistant Rehearsal schedule and stick to it.
4.Set goals for number of memebers, abilities, progress and concert dates. If you don't keep working toward something you will fail.
5.Try all types of music and don't limit yourself to the standard Tuba/Euph literature. Try to arrange if possible other things for the group such as jazz, rock, clasics and pop music.
6.All ways keep in mind your motivation for doing this ie. money, fame, sole enjoyment or whatever.
7.Patience is a vurtue and good things come to those who wait. This is the hardest part but is so true. It may take years and many different people to finaly realize your dream.
8. Some times trying to get in to such a group is the best way to go. If you don't have to create it there is alot less you have to do.
Hope this helps and keep playing,
Randy Mac Iver

Follow Ups: