Re: Any Suggestions for a great CC tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by A Tuba 'Prentice on November 19, 2000 at 20:17:01:

In Reply to: Any Suggestions for a great CC tuba posted by Youngster on November 14, 2000 at 20:57:46:

Fact or Fiction:
Willsons are the best CC horns out there? I work with Jim Akins (Columbus Symphony and OSU Prof) and he highly recommends them. I believe he plays a customized Conn (?). Willson tends to use Nickel alloy and higher quality metals that improve sound and raise price. Just an out there question. Currently I'm a HS Junior looking to go to Indiana for performance. Don't play CC yet, but I'd really love to get into it since they come recommended over BBb. I currently play a MeinlWeston 25 (rotary) and a Yamaha thing that I really have come to hate. Avoid Yamaha at all cost - even the new horns are wretched. I just ordered Gabrielli's Ricercar and Persecutti (sp?)'s Serenade #12 because they come recommended... Any suggestions/comments on either of those pieces? I'm looking for some nice pieces that I can do college auditions with. I'm also looking for a nice CC horn to use... I just got a new mouthpiece, it's a Benge 7 and I'm really enjoying - helped lower my range.

Follow Ups: