Re: Marine Band vs. College

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike F. on November 18, 2000 at 13:40:04:

In Reply to: Marine Band vs. College posted by Matt on November 17, 2000 at 23:40:17:

I would not trade the experience of four years in the Marine Corps for anything. I traveled all over the world, made lasting friendships, got a little money for school (not 65K, more like 12K. Better check on that.) and most importantly played my tuba (and bass)for a living. Sure you have to exercise, iron your clothes, and do what someone tells you. Hey, that sounds like pretty good preparation for life, doesn't it?
That being said, and don't you other Devil Dogs out there flame me for this, but You should really check out the other service bands too> The Marines offer the most Military and about the least Music. The Air Force is on the other end with nearly all music and very little emphasis on military. The Navy and Army are somewhere in the middle depending on which unit you are stationed with.
Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions or concerns. I served from 1990-1994, went to college afterwards, and am now a music educator, as well as playing with several groups. I draw on the skills and experience I gained from the Marine Corps on a daily basis.
Best of luck to you!
MF

Follow Ups: