Re: Re: Re: Marine Band vs. College

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Winton on November 18, 2000 at 12:08:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Marine Band vs. College posted by Michael Russo on November 18, 2000 at 10:57:54:

I'll second the motion on "DON'T LISTEN TO ANYTHING A LOCAL RECRUITER TELLS YOU!!!!!". I'm a college student, but my dad joined the navy, wanting to join as a musician. But then the recruiter said to him, "What? No. You don't want to be a musician. Do you know what you have to do? You have to practice every single day." And my dad, now regretful, listened to him, after realizing that's what he wanted to do. But he's still happy though, even though he could beat himself everyday of not listening to that guy, because if he didn't listen to him, he wouldn't mean my mom, or me and my brother.

But also, there's this Christian comedian named Mike Waranke, and he talked about signing up for Vietnam (well, drafted). So he mentions how the recruiters have this certain voice that can convince you of ANYTHING. Like, "What you need is an Etzle." And he's like, "Yeaaaaaaaaah man, I really need an Etzle." But that wasn't it though. He wanted to be a chef, so didn't have to fight, and the recruiters said, "Well, you don't want to do that, what you WANT to be is a hospital coreman." And he's like, "Awwwwww, ummmm, awwwwww, why? What do they, uhhhhhhh, do man?" (cuz at the time he still was a big time hippy). He said, "They deal drugs and hot nurses." He accepted it, not knowing that hospital coreman has to go into the war with the fighters.

You know the "Be All You Can Be"? They mean "Be All That WE want you to be." SO don't listen to the recruiters. Do what YOU want to be. Listen to yourself.

-Winton

Follow Ups: