Re: Marine Band vs. College

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Russo on November 18, 2000 at 07:24:16:

In Reply to: Marine Band vs. College posted by Matt on November 17, 2000 at 23:40:17:

I can hear the flames starting now, BUT.....

Take the job! I have a lot of friends that are in military bands and are very unhappy with their jobs. However, while going to school I knew a lot of people that were unhappy in school. The people that were unhappy in school were that way because what they wanted to do was play, but the school wanted them to spend time in classes taught by teaching assistants that knew only slightly more than the students. My friends that are unhappy in military bands are that way because it's the military. If you know what being in the military is going to be like, and you don't mind that life....Take the gig! Most people I know that are in military bands took those jobs as fall back jobs. You are looking for a place to play a military band is a great choice.

They way to get better is to perform. We can practice all we want, but without playing in front of people, we really don't get to that next level. To have the option to be in a full time performing group, and have someone else pay for school is GREAT!! The worst thing you can do is put yourself in debt to go to school and end up like one of the people I knew in school that was very unhappy.

My $.02

mike russo

Follow Ups: