Re: Re: Re: Pondering a new leadpipe...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on November 18, 2000 at 00:23:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Pondering a new leadpipe... posted by Anony on November 17, 2000 at 21:33:47:

No crown jewels are endangered in this case, as the lead pipe is not original anyway.

Browsing Rick’s site will tell you, that he is not unfamiliar with hacksaw and other brass project tools.

What I meant by applying measuring and statistical skills, was that it should be possible quite exactly to determine the point at the leadpipe, that will fit the receiver ferrule (or whatever the term is) and the mouthpiece stem.

As the leadpipe usually has a fast progress of inner diameter at the beginning, it should not be necessary to shorten it too much for a comfortable playing position.

The option of using a modern pro euph leadpipe would need it to be narrowed at the valve cluster end to avoid a backward step-bore.

Such a backward step bore is known from trombones at the point where the air goes from the outer slide into the second inner slide branch. There it does not hinder the noble tone of the trombone, but a backward step bore close to the mouthpiece, where the air pressure and air flow are at their maximum, might invite to undesired turbulences.

This elaborated answer has not been posted for the sake of Rick, who is well aware of these matters, but for those getting the shivers.

Would I do the operation myself?

As for measurements and calculations: Yes.

As for the real operation: No. I am not that skilled with tools.

Klaus

Follow Ups: