Re: History engraved on your horn.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gus Pratt on November 17, 2000 at 18:46:10:

In Reply to: History engraved on your horn. posted by Dale on November 17, 2000 at 12:53:15:

Whenever I watch a show like Antinque Roadshow, or others, it is always mentioned that not only the condition of the item is important but the history of the item is just as important. One show I used to watch, the appraiser would always suggest, when he heard a story that went along with the item, that the owner document the story and put it with the item. I once had the oppurtunity of purchasing a 6/4 Holton that was believed to have been owned by Arnold Jacobs. At the time I had no way of knowing the history of the horn for sure; however, since then I discovered more about the horn and how it got to the previous owner and the fact that Arnold Jacobs was indeed the original owner. Granted, not all horns have been played by the masters, but all horns do have a story. Recently on eBay there was the giant Martin recording tuba that had a 30 inch bell. Up near the bell collar on that horn were 1/2 inch holes that had been drilled into the collar that currently have been plugged. The current owner mentioned that he didn't know what the holes were there for. I just so happen to know the history of those holes. A friend of mine purchased that exact Martin at an antique store near my home. It was on consignment from a widow. When my friend purchased the horn it had 4 large christmas bulbs in those holes. The previous owner used to plug in the tuba and let the light from the christmas bulbs reflect over the 30 inch bulb. My friend didn't like the bulbs there and removed them and had the plugs put in. In this particular case a part of the history of the horn has been lost between the original owner and the current owner. Is that a significant historical loss? Of course not. But it is an interesting piece of information that most of the future owners of that horn would like to know. This particular case isn't one of significant financial consequence, nor is it of significant historical value. It does however make that particular horn more then just a object. It makes a spiritual connection between the previous owner and yourself. Not all people value this spiritual type connection the same as others. I own a 50 Studebaker that was owned by my father and was one of the last hobbies of my dad prior to his death. My older brother owns a 48 Studebaker that was also owned by my father. Niether vehicle has any more spiritual connection with my father then the other one; however, my brother would never ever think of selling his even if someone offered 10x what it is worth. Me on the other hand I would seriously think of selling it if I was offered just a little more then what it is worth. I guess what I'm getting at is that every horn (or item) has different spiritual values. Some posts members have mentioned that the condition and/or monetary value of the horn is more important then this spiritual value. Others believe this spiritual connection is worth the depreciation (if any) of the horn caused by engraving. I guess we all see things differently.

Follow Ups: