Re: Re: Re: Re: Jay Bertolet

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ike Harris on November 17, 2000 at 01:02:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Jay Bertolet posted by Sean Chisham on November 16, 2000 at 12:55:32:

Sean,
Congrats on getting a paying gig; the overwhelming majority of people that play don't make money, much less make a living doing it. I've been fortunate to do so for 27 years, and the "unglamorous" gigs are still part of the deal, but once in a while you get to do something special. Next week I play for an event where Nelson Mandela receives a medal. Yesterday was a special day. A bass student of mine that I started from scratch a year or so ago passed a college audition to play in a big band. I think I was more excited/nervous than he was. That was worth alot more than a ton of self-serving playing gigs.
For a different perspective, I was once doing a dixie gig with an older clarinet player whose main job was as a financial advisor. The clients at this party were all rich-looking financial types, many of whom he knew. I asked if he felt funny playing for these people, and he told me "All these people knew how to do is make money. I'd like to see them try to play clarinet!"

Follow Ups: