Re: Re: Re: Conn 52J vs. 56J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by M. Plummer on November 16, 2000 at 14:42:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Conn 52J vs. 56J posted by The lurker in Ca speaks on November 16, 2000 at 03:46:25:

Over a six or eight week period I was able to play both the 52J and 56J, at times side by side. Everytime I played these things I set them down and tried something else. In the end I climbed out on a limb and selected a 56J because I just couldn't get the sound of the thing out of my head. The 56J has a very warm sound with a lot of color possible as well as dynamic range. The 52J was just little brighter, due I think to the smaller and lighter bell otherwise very much the same. For what it is worth I think the Conn's are good general purpose horns with a great sound. Intonation is generally good although all of the horns I played really worked better (for me) using the 1,2 valve combination for the 'E' on staff.

There are a couple of issues with these horns that caused me some concern. First, the valves on every Conn I tried were stickey, a kind of random just not gonna come up sort of thing (oil no help). The good news is they will improve. For about three weeks I used a set of Besson valve springs (much higher tension, overcame the stickyness) suggested by Pete Krill on this BBS. Last week I put the Conn springs back in, horn works great now. Second, the leadpipe has a strange taper, the Hellenberg supplied with the horn just sort of drops into the receiver and a European shank sort of rocks back and forth in the receiver (read very small movement but annoying). Anyway, I have a part number from UMI for the leadpipe (#TU 8107, specify horn finish), my guess is I will end up having a spare leadpipe fitted with an Ajustable Gap Receiver to solve that issue.

It's really nice to be able to take the horn apart for cleaning. Two screws to remove the leadpipe, four screws to remove the valve set (1-4)and, two screws to remove the 5th valve & tubing, one screw to remove the 5th linkage. It is wise however to place a couple of hand or shop towels between the bracing to keep from scratching the horn when the vale set separates.

Sorry, I know this doesn't address all of your orignal questions but I think the only way you can do that is to play the horns yourself.

Follow Ups: