Re: Buy a CC just for fun?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dennis Morris on November 16, 2000 at 13:18:44:

In Reply to: Buy a CC just for fun? posted by Carl L on November 15, 2000 at 17:49:11:

Carl, some random thoughts that may be helpful . . .

You can play whatever horn you like. If you sound good on a certain horn, play it.

Sorry, I don't know the PT-2 well enough to tell you if that's a good price. I'm sure you'll get some good advice from others on this BBS. If that's a fair price, and the horn plays well and you sound good on it, why not?

I think the fingering issue is overemphasized. You're learning a new skill, and like any other skill it may feel strange at first. Remember the first time you ever played a major scale?

I can tell you that it will also be awkward playing a BBb if you've played nothing but a CC for a while. But, the more you do it the easier it gets. Just put in the time.

Dixieland doesn't come with a legal notice that says "you must play this tune on a BBb tuba". In fact no other style of music does either. I've heard superb players doing Dixieland / trad on CCs, Ebs and Fs. They sound great because they're good musicians, not because their horn had tubing of a certain length.

The only people who will notice or care what key the tuba is in will be other tuba players. Everybody else is listening to what you sound like.

If the mouthpiece fits the receiver of the horn, you can play it. You may discover that a different mouthpiece does a better job with that horn, but that's a different matter. I have used a Bach 18 on BBb, CC, Eb and F horns. Use yours as a starting point, but don't be afraid to experiment with other mouthpieces.

Above all -- make music! You're the one who makes the music. The horn is just a piece of equipment.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dennis Morris

Follow Ups: