Re: a good mouthpeice??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on November 16, 2000 at 11:43:36:

In Reply to: a good mouthpeice?? posted by Good Student on November 14, 2000 at 21:28:35:

The problem is the multitude of variables between you, the horn and the mouthpiece. The best option is to get lessons with a pro, and ask for a diagnosis. FWIW, I've been dealing with settling on a mpc. for sometime now, and I think I may have hit on the right combination finally. And I'm moving away from a Helleberg to a Rose. It takes patience, though.

You don't say how old you are, but I feel that a Helleberg is definately a step-up mpc. Just as you wouldn't give a high school student a Yorkbrunner (unless they were a prodigy), you need to grow into a big mpc. like a Helleberg. My beginning students are aghast when they try a Helleberg, because it covers their whole mouth. Now, I'm not saying that you're that young. Just realize that a mpc. of that size needs a certain level of playing maturity to really be effective, and not a hindrance to improvement.

When I played a 641 in high school, I used a 24AW, and had very good results. But only trial and error can locate the right mpc. for the combination of you, the horn, and the mpc. A pro can help you navigate through that process.

Just because you're the world's leading neurosurgeon doesn't mean you should try to operate on yourself. ;^)

Steve

Follow Ups: