Re: a good mouthpeice??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on November 15, 2000 at 01:28:10:

In Reply to: a good mouthpeice?? posted by Good Student on November 14, 2000 at 21:28:35:

Hey Student,
Chances are great that this will not be the last horn you will own (CC or otherwise). My suggestion would be look for a deal on a used horn. Mirafones (184,185,186 or 188) are out there, especially 186's, and for reasonable prices too. There are also several Yamahas available, several at David Fedderly's (Boston Brass) very recently which would also make for a good first CC. Once you are famaliar with the world of CC tuba and should you decide on another horn, you will be able to recover most or all the initial investment (won't be the case for a new horn, at least for a long time).

Tubas are very personal, and what one likes another will hate. I currently own 4 CC tubas and wouldn't you know spend most of my active playing on EEb of all things. My three favorite horns are ones I found used, all from this BBS (the others I bought new!). Whatever you decide, it will be up to you to master the horn (a better horn will NOT make you a better player). Someone will ALWAYS have a bigger/newer/shinnier/more exotic horn than you, but that will not be a deciding factor in anything other than the tuba envy contest.

Good luck

Follow Ups: