Re: a good mouthpeice??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Erik on November 14, 2000 at 22:09:40:

In Reply to: a good mouthpeice?? posted by Good Student on November 14, 2000 at 21:28:35:

I also play a Conn Helleberg with a BBb and do sometimes get those sloppy attacks (esp loud notes w/valves down, like F# or B in the staff) you speak of. I can't comment on mouthpieces to fix this problem, though I can give you this advice: most of my sloppy attacks come when I don't hear the note before I play it. Try playing whatever you are having trouble with on the mouthpiece alone, and make sure you hit every note right on. When you can do that, then try it on the horn. I have noticed a marked improvement when I use this method. With regards to a weak sound, (someone correct me if I am wrong) I believe that Helleberg-type mp's tend to give a relatively large, fundamental-rich sound. I suspect this can be solved (as many problems can) with more (and more relaxed) air. Try to blow "thick" air. Find one of the transcripts from the Jacobs masterclasses, as he spoke a lot about this. And to ramble further, if you don't have a private teacher, try to get one if you can. They are invaluable.

Follow Ups: