Re: To swich or not to switch.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on November 13, 2000 at 02:07:23:

In Reply to: To swich or not to switch..... posted by RC on November 11, 2000 at 21:07:08:

As this question cannot be answered any more than the "chicken and egg" question, let me insert my most humble opinion. I do not believe it is so much a question of switching, as adding. The question then goes "Should I add CC tuba to my abilities" (you can insert any key horn in place of CC). When stated as such it takes on a different meaning altogether. Several posts mention the difficulty of making the change, or how certain keys are easier on certain horns. Both of these are disproportionately affected my the amount of time spent on the horn (the more you practise the less the problem). Just for thoughtful dialog, I wonder if tuba players should learn treble cleff? I'm sure blindfolded people would be hard pressed to tell the difference! While I'm at it, what about transposing?

My answer is yes, take the plunge into CC. But there is no reason leave the BBb behind (unless of course it is a really good old one and then you could cut it into a CC, add a 5th valve, sell it to a restaurant, where it will eventually fall into the hands of Chuck Jackson). If you are hot and heavy into tuba, you will likely own several instruments of various keys over your carreer, and it would be a shame to limited to BBb only.

Follow Ups: