Re: To swich or not to switch.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by james on November 13, 2000 at 00:31:16:

In Reply to: To swich or not to switch..... posted by RC on November 11, 2000 at 21:07:08:

when i came to college i had never played a cc horn and i felt like i was a really good BBb player. i played a miraphone 186 and had no intonation problems with the instrument. the change to CC during my freshman year of college was pretty painful for a few months until i learned the new fingerings(marching band BBb didn't help). i never understood the reason for switching to a CC until now. the availability of good BBb horns is slim. the availability of good CC horns is plentiful. it is espescially hard to find BBb horns that have a fifth valve(better intonation in the low register). i still hate the ackward fingerings in most band literature and brass band works. the fingerings area little easier in orchestra literature but not too many works were written with a lot of sharps although i'm sure there would be some fighting with "The Ride". my personal opinion is to play whatever horn you feel comfortable with. i'm glad i swithced to CC now i've adjusted to it but there are still times when i feel like i just don't have a feel for a CC like i did for a BBb after playing it for 8 years.

james

Follow Ups: