Re: Re: Re: To swich or not to switch.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aubrey Foard on November 13, 2000 at 00:09:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: To swich or not to switch..... posted by A Tuba 'Prentice on November 12, 2000 at 22:04:24:

I believe part of the reason may be that CCs are also marketed as orchestral horns and are generally of higher quality than a BBb. Remember that garbage can you were given when you first started high school? Was it in C or Bb? This certainly not true of all BBbs: I know of many fine BBb horns out there that are highly recommended, I just never got to play on one.

As mentioned below, CC is also generally easier to tune to an orchestra. An A on a BBb is a 7th above the open combination and uses the 2nd valve, a tube that you don't pull while you play. An A on a CC is a 6th above and uses a combination of 1+2 and since you push and pull the first slide all the time, it is much easier to keep in tune.

It has also been mentioned that BBbs are generally warmer and richer in tone while CCs embody much more of a focused, centered sound. This sound is generally used both to support and 'cut through' an orchestra.

The bottom line? There isn't one. Most of the above statements are broad rationalizations. Some CCs are absolutely terrible, a few BBbs are great. However, I think the facts that manufacturers generally put more care and market CCs as professional horns as well as the fact that CCs have a more focused sound make the CC a preferred instrument among the 'big name' professionals.

Follow Ups: