Re: Re: Re: Mancini Institute

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott Sutherland on November 10, 2000 at 03:30:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Mancini Institute posted by MG on November 09, 2000 at 23:38:02:

Dear MG-

What I meant by "standard combo instrument" was sax, bone, trumpet, guitar, piano, bass or drums. The tuba is generally placed in a brass quintet instead of a jazz combo. The chamber groups are structured in this way so that they can be assigned gigs that may be more appropriate to one rather than another. There are many string quartets for example, that end up doing gigs at restaurants where the music may be better suited. There are plenty of exceptions, though. For instance, the year I participated there was a phenomenal jazz hornist that played in a jazz combo, and one combo was comprised of five violins and rhythm (interesting...). I would imagine that if your chops were up to the par of the group, they would let a tuba in a combo.
Jim Self wanted to work on improv in order to develop a skill that most tuba players do not develop. He knew I was getting classical training, so he decided to focus attention on jazz. Plus, the camp is centered around jazz, and that is really what most players go there to learn. Mr. Self also has nothing to do with the combo assignments. So, being in a combo was irrelevant to the lessons. There are group improv lessons for beginners/intermediates each week for those that want more exposure.

Hope this helps!

Scott

Follow Ups: