Re: Mom needs help!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on November 08, 2000 at 23:46:27:

In Reply to: Mom needs help! posted by Jane on November 08, 2000 at 22:46:48:

If he wants a 4 rotary tuba, I'm guessing that he (or whoever suggested that configuration) has a BBb in mind. Before any of us answer that question, though, we need to know somethings about your son. Does he plan to be a music major? Does he primarily play in orchestras or bands? Does he want one tuba for all situations, or will you consider getting a small ensemble/solo horn and a large ensemble horn? In general, BBb's are best for band use, large CC's for orchestral works, 4/4 CC's and large Eb's for all-purpose work (if he's going to be a music major keep in mind that most teachers prefer CC's over Eb's when only one horn can be bought) and F's are generally used in solos and quintets. There are of course many, many exceptions, so don't take my word for it. It mainly depends on the individual tuba. My advice would be to figure out what exactly you want this tuba to do and go to various tuba sellers (Dillon's, Baltimore Brass, Brasswind, Custom Music, et. al., all have links in Sean's "Music Shops" icon) and try out as many tubas as you can. Good bargains? These music stores often have used tubas for sale, and used horns often show up on this bulletin board as well.

Good luck,
Scott

Follow Ups: