Re: Wheaton College Tuba Prof

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matthew Smith on November 06, 2000 at 23:44:38:

In Reply to: Wheaton College Tuba Prof posted by prospective student on November 06, 2000 at 01:28:58:

Okay everyone...here's the lowdown on the Wheaton Conservatory...

I'm currently the lone tuba major at the Conserv. (I'm a music ed. major.) The other tubist who plays for the Conserv is a music minor. Also, there is a third who is currently in the process of switching from vocal to tuba.

So, anyway...about the tuba teaching status...

Steve Marcus is exactly right. Ms. Audrey Morrison is the resident "guest lecturer in trombone and jazz studies" at Wheaton. She's a fine musician with the Chicago Jazz as well as several other local ensembles...I believe. She serves as the professor for all of the low brass at the Conservatory. She's a fine teacher, as she has even studied under Arnold Jacobs; however, in this case, it is best to find a teacher whose first instrument is tuba.

As a freshman, the "off-campus lessons" deal is pretty much out of the question, as freshman are not permitted to have cars on campus. Permission can be granted -- very easily for those who have no teacher for their instrument -- for off-campus lessons. The sophomore (tuba minor) is currently studying with Roger Rocco, who was mentioned in another post by Andy Miller. Jeff (the tubist here) has nothing but positives about Mr. Rocco. Next year, I'll probably pursue lessons with him, also.

As you can see, tubists are certainly not in abundance here at Wheaton; so, if you're interested in studying at the Conservatory, we'd love to have you come stay a weekend. Wheaton College has something called "Wheaton Connection" for prospective students. If you'd be interested in seeing the campus or auditioning, this would be a prime time! Request me as your host...I'd love to have future tubists stay with me!

Well, I hope that the above information answered the question about our tuba prof situation (probably more thoroughly than hoped for)!

Follow Ups: