Re: Hard Case for St. Pete

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary S on November 20, 1999 at 21:15:19:

In Reply to: Hard Case for St. Pete posted by Phil Rubin on November 20, 1999 at 19:25:15:

Phil,
I regret to tell you that that case, while looking truly great, is not worth the price. It is made largely of styrofoam with thin veneer over the flat surfaces. The hinges are screws into that veneer. The first time I lean on the open lid, every screw popped out and there is no way to satisfactorily repair it. The wheels are very small and recessed and are useless except on very smooth hard floors. I'm planning to build a plywood box and use the styrofoam with additional foam rubber around that to fill in and square up the shape. Then have a nylon case made to fit the box. I'll use large wheels that can accomodate curbs, rough ground, and stair steps that will be removable for air travel. It will be heavy, but the other option is a Walt Johnson or one of the other big time case makers for more dollars than I care to part with. That case did do a great job of protecting the St Pete on its trip for Germany to LA to Seattle. The backpack idea really didn't appeal to me and I never tried it.

Follow Ups: