Re: Shank question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kristof Schneider on November 19, 1999 at 16:01:28:

In Reply to: Shank question posted by Tim C on November 19, 1999 at 09:45:20:

The shank is the part of the mouthpiece that fits into the receiver on the leadpipe of a euphonium. European shank is also referred to as intermediate shank. American shank and German shank are foreign terms to me. I would imagine German shank and Amercian shank are terms to mean the same thing (European and Intermediate). I do know that the European shank/intermediate shank will fit in the Willson model 2900 euphonium and older Besson Sovreign receivers. It is an odd size, being half way between that of tenor trombone shank and bass trombone shank. In any case, you will be able to find mouthpieces with it and horns to receive it. If you use a mouthpiece shank that is either too large or too small, you will run into problems. Smaller mouthpiece shanks will not fill the receiver and therefore lead to leaks. Larger motuhpieces will seem to work, but they will cause problems with intonation and essentially pose the threat of damage to your receiver. Good luck. I hope that clears that up a little.
-Kris Schneider

Follow Ups: