Re: Re: Re: Performance Major and Marching Band?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave Seip on November 17, 1999 at 20:56:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Performance Major and Marching Band? posted by Rob Perelli-Minetti on November 16, 1999 at 18:22:08:

Contrariwise, at my school, and the surrounding schools, we have a very good marching program, and a top-notch concert band program. The top band, of which I am a member, always performs many pieces that are challenging for the group as a whole, and we are very proud of not only our band, but the high-quality bands from the neighboring schools that we have the pleasure to see occasionally. I am also a member of the marching band. (Just to digress for a moment, to those that think marching band ruins one's playing and body, that is a bunch of crap. If you hurt yourself or your playing as a result of marching, you were doing something wrong) Our marching band has always enjoyed football games, and even though the jocks and the "band geeks" trade mock insults, everyone knows that it's all in good fun, and each respects the other for all the hard work both put in. Competition inspires the members of my band to perform well, and we exceeded 150 members this year, with one of the most difficult field shows we've performed. The reason we enjoy marching band and concert band so much is because we go into it with a good attitude and a willingness to work (something MBD apparently doesn't have). Competitive marching band simply needs an environment where people are willing to work hard and respect the hard work of others. It also needs people willing to look past what place the band got, and base how they feel about a show on how they did when they performed. If one care too much about placing, no matter if one always wins or always loses, one will never enjoy performing.

Follow Ups: