Re: Performance Major and Marching Band?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by STOP REPLYING TO MBD!!! on November 14, 1999 at 16:52:12:

In Reply to: Performance Major and Marching Band? posted by Jeff Baker on November 12, 1999 at 14:23:20:

First - stop replying to MBD. That line is getting nowhere, and is about as entertaining as reading Jerry Springer transcripts.

Jeff, you said the following:

"I know there is honestly no practical value to a performance major in doing marching band. Anyone who says differently is blindly sticking up for something wholly not true."

Do you ever plan on teaching private lessons? I perform professionally, and it helps my teaching. I teach, and it helps my performance. I perform in brass quintets, tuba groups, concert and marching bands. I solo as well. I draw from each of these experiences so I can pass on as much knowledge as I can to my students. This, my friend, is your practical value.

While on the field, you can (and the only reason I tell you this is because I didn't give my name!!!) work on things to make your time on the field worthwhile. I work on my soft playing, loud playing, multiple tonguing, and upper and lower register. I work on my ear by playing around in the chords. Of course, I don't recommend working on any of these things while playing really loud (except for the loud playing of course), but you can utilize your time while on the field.

Now, this being said, what hasn't been approached yet is whether you have a hard time making the right decisions in your life. I am not trying to open a can of worms here, especially since I don't even know you. If the circumstances are such that it is time for you to make a hard choice, and you know what the right answer is, you should take a step forward and make the right choice. If you are resisting the correct choice, but are ignoring the reasons why just because you want to socialize in marching band, you should really help yourself out and focus on what your teacher is telling you. Once again, this is not a character judgement on you, just a small sidenote on what may be an underlying reason for this whole discussion.

Follow Ups: