Re: Performance Major and Marching Band?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jeff Baker on November 14, 1999 at 02:34:30:

In Reply to: Performance Major and Marching Band? posted by Jeff Baker on November 12, 1999 at 14:23:20:

I think some of you are missing the point here. I didn't intend for this to be a bashing contest between ed. and performance degreeers and I'm sorry it's somewhat turned out that way. I know there is honestly no practical value to a performance major in doing marching band. Anyone who says differently is blindly sticking up for something wholly not true. We don't do marching band for learning to become better musicians though, we do it because it's fun. We do it because of our friends, because of school spirit, because of the love of performing for the masses. We carry the biggest instruments around and everyone knows who we are. We're the baddasses of the band that don't get credit but take all the pain. Why else would you go out in 100+ degree august and do "marching fundamentals" for 2+ hours? To better your intonation in orchestra? Right. Last time I checked it didn't matter how in tune the tubas were as long as your Bflat was within 10 to 20 cents.

Like I said before, the entire reason I got into band was the Pride of Oklahoma. As a 5 year-old, I had no understanding of football and was preoccupied with the huge sousaphones that towered over the rest of the band.

My next point. Middle school and high school band directors have a hard job. They get paid crap, have to put up with pubesant (sp?) immature children and have to try and convince those kids that music is really interesting and worth getting into. College directors and teachers are working with people who WANT to be there. We all know this and I for one don't care to read the complaints of either. You knew what you were getting in to. Middle and high school directors also have the opportunity to shape a childs views. I will never, EVER forget the things my teachers taught me, not about playing, but about music, what it does and what you can do for it. That's something that a college teacher can not do. You give and take.

My post was to get a feel for what other people have done, ya know, get some advice for someone with experience so I don't make the same mistake as others before me.

Marching band to me is solely an outlet of enjoyment. It's not something where I plan on gaining some insight into concert playing. It's fun. It's a lot of time but it's also a lot of memories.

I know when you have real priorities to think about like bills, family, etc. it's hard to see music through the eyes of a young ambitious musician. The only thing I have over my head right now is the loan on my tuba. I've got 2 more years, at least, of undergrad and then I go to grad school. 30 years down the line, I know I will remember marching band and the friends I made from it. I just don't want to also remember dropping it prematurely and regretting it.

While there may be animosity between teachers and students or teachers and teachers, you have to remember why you're doing what you're doing. If shaping the minds of young high school students and turning on lights they never knew existed before but only getting paid squat does not make you happy then maybe you need to look in to doing something else. All I want is to be happy and content with the decisions I've made. In posting the earlier message, It was also a question to see what you guys have chosen and how it's affected you. Damn this is long and somewhat random. Bye.

Follow Ups: