Re: Re: cimbasso

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on November 09, 1999 at 23:05:37:

In Reply to: Re: cimbasso posted by WHY A CIMBASSO ? on November 05, 1999 at 10:50:34:

Primarily, you would use a cimbasso for operatic works. Despite its serious intonation drawbacks, the cimbasso is an excellent instrument for certain situations. In a recent T.U.B.A. Journal, the writings of Verdi were quoted and, to put it mildly, he hated the tuba and his opera and orchestra writing reflects this. In the hands of a skilled performer, the cimbasso blends much better with the trombones than a tuba does. I have tried many different tubas in an attempt to find a sound that is more cimbasso like but to no avail. The conical versus cylindrical differences between tuba and cimbasso are too pronounced to get a real cimbasso sound on a tuba. If you play alot of opera, as I do, you might consider trying a cimbasso. I know I have considered the idea more than once, like I am now. Unfortunately, the cost is exceptionally prohibitive, so looking for a cheap cimbasso is kind of like looking for a cheap Rolls Royce. Good luck in your search!

Follow Ups: