Beginning the Tuba in adulthood

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael on November 05, 1999 at 16:10:26:

Hello,

First, I would like to apologize for posting on this board. I feel like a science fiction buff asking a question at an astrophysics conference that counts Stephen Hawking among its members, and I am honored that anyone would actually read my message.

My question is: Is it possible to learn to play the tuba to any respectable degree, having not started until the age of 20? I've always enjoyed music, but have only recently taken an interest in learning an instrument. The two that I am particularly intrigued by are the tuba and the french horn. I've read that it is a very difficult task to learn the piano or string instruments in adulthood because the dexterity and neurological connections necessary to play well are developed in early childhood and the potential to develop these skills drops significantly after adolescence. I was wondering if the same applied to brass instruments as well, with the coordination of the tongue and facial muscles and what not. Now, being a man of worldly wisdom, I assume that the tuba is not an instrument that is taken up by small children (ie 5 year old tuba prodigies) simply because most children that age are not physically capable of handling the horn. But if a child began on something small like a trumpet and then crossed over to tuba in junior high or high school, they would already have developed the necessary mouth-brain connections. So I would like my question approached keeping in mind that I have played nothing prior to this. Also, does anyone know of anyone who did not begin the tuba until relatively later in life (for a musician, late teens, early 20s) and went on to be a succesful player? (When I say successful, I am not necessarily talking about professional or major orchestra standards, just enough to be able to enjoy the instrument and perhaps play with local acts for the love of it.) I look forward to hearing whatever opinions or advice everyone may have regarding this post, or stories you want to share. Thanks in advance!

Mike

PS (I'm 6'4'' #275, athletic build and in good cardiovascular condition. So air requirements for the horn and ability to physically handle it should not pose a great problem. It's technique that concerns me. Thanks!)

Follow Ups: