Re: Re: Re: York BBb wanted/ Where to get cut

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale on November 03, 1999 at 21:24:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: York BBb wanted/ Where to get cut posted by Brian Frederiksen on November 03, 1999 at 07:09:51:

I have been told the same thing Brian, and read it, and heard it....but I do know
that the "York Master" tubas which I have seen with the characteristic dip in the 1st
valve branch appear MIGHTY similar to the later BM's and Marzan horns marketed here
by Fred and DEG some years ago. I also know that these horns look AWFULLY similar
to the pre-war tubas as well. I thought it made sense when I repeated something I
was told by a crafter back there on the right coast - that the so-called "lost"
or "destroyed" toolings were in fact shipped over to that factory in Geretsrieg
sometime in the late 40's or maybe early 50's. It makes sense too when you look at some of the stuff Nirschl is producing today since he is now the owner of that factory
(no not the York-o-phone) Perhaps the York boys "lost" their pre-war mandrels when some enterprising war-time factory worker spirited them away? Or someone simply sold them to Meinl before, during, or after the war? OR they were destroyed and almost immediately after the war someone in Yurrop cranked out the mandrels (after striking a deal with someone stateside) to start making a 4/4 horn in the "York" Master line that was amazingly like the pre-war 4/4 ones...I dunno...either way, I have an interesting attitude on "history"...usually I find myself asking why someone chose to write their particular perspective down...no I am not skeptical, but gee, the Geretsrieg connection seems awfully reasonable-sounding to me....

Follow Ups: