Re: Re: Re: 3301 (BBb) wanted

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LH on November 02, 1999 at 11:41:19:

In Reply to: Re: Re: 3301 (BBb) wanted posted by Liz on November 02, 1999 at 10:44:23:

Firts, I wanted a piston BBb in the 4/4 size. (I already have two rotary BBbs.) I played all of the piston BBbs readily available including the VMI, Willson, Nirschel, the two Bessons, the Meinl Westons CCs (2145 and 2165) with BBb tuning slides, the small Yamaha, etc. I did not look at the school-market horns (Bach, Holton, etc.). I wanted a horn that was well made and consistent in production quality. (This ruled out the Bessons - 993 and 994.) The Willson is still not ready for prime time - it needs to be improved further - and is just not worth the money that it would cost - about $9,000. The Nirschel suffers from some intonation problems (e.g., D in the register is big-time flat) and like the Willson, is not worth the money ($7300). (I realize that "worth" is a subjective concept, but I have, as an economist, spent a good portion of my professional career making equity decisions on fairly substantial issues. Consequently, I have no reservations about doing so with regard to tubas.)

I looked at both the VMI 3301 and the 3302. The fifth valve on the 3302 did not really add anything in terms of intonation and range. (The first valve on the 3301 is very accesible and produced to be movable facilitating any first valve adjustments that are needed.)

With the relatively appealing price of the 3301, I purchased the horn. It has ben a good decision.

A few observations. First, the valves on the 3301 are relatively large and take a little getting use to. Second, the WWandBW sells a molded case for the horn. It does not fit the horn. You will have to make modifications to the case. Alternatively, you can get the wood shell case. I have no experience, however, with this. Finally, if you go the WWandBW route, do not deal with the buffoon they have selling tubas. (If he worked for me, he would have been on the street long ago.) Deal with one of the customer service representatives (e.g., James Grondin or Beth Knight). They are much mre friendly. Also, tell them to have the horn shop-checked before sending it. It just insures everything is in order.

Good luck.

Follow Ups: