Re: Playing a Famous Instrument

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 03, 2003 at 16:03:20:

In Reply to: Playing a Famous Instrument posted by David on May 30, 2003 at 16:58:55:

My York Master was owned by Oscar Lagasse and Chris Hall in its history. I think it's fair to say that each player liked semething about it that they didn't get from other instruments. I think it's one of the great BBb piston tubas, and it suffers no shame in the company of many highly regarded CC piston tubas. But there are tubas I think are better, and obviously the YM's previous owners thought so, too, because they sold it.

Accolades? Lagasse thought the YM wasn't loud enough, according to the story as it is passed down to me. Chris Hall thought it a bit stuffy except for the fourth valve, which he thought was magic. Chuck and I have both complained about intonation in the upper register. Was it worth the money? You don't see me trying to sell it, do you?

Both the YM and my Holton were protected from being unavailable to me by being BBb tubas. Had either one been a CC, I wouldn't have been able to afford them, and some pro would be playing them now.

Rick "who likes tubas with a good story but who doesn't expect them to be perfect" Denney

Follow Ups: