Re: Re: Playing Opportunities in Boulder CO?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by joe schmoe tubahoe on June 03, 2003 at 15:01:12:

In Reply to: Re: Playing Opportunities in Boulder CO? posted by Benjamin Schardt on May 31, 2003 at 18:04:14:

Ahhh... brings back memories....

Many years ago (well, not that many years ago) while I was in undergraduate school, I was principal tuba with the Longmont Symphony, which consisted of some pros and some good amateurs. We did an amazing season, the Ride, Symphonic Metamorphoses, Prok R&J, Tchaik R&J, Scheherezade, Flying Dutchman, 1812 -- every concert had a major tuba excerpt! It was a great thing to be part of as a young undergrad tuba major!

The Boulder Phil and FT Collins Symphony are similar, filled with many pros in the winds and amateurs and pros in the strings etc. Pretty much your typical local orchestra faire. Same goes with the Greeley Phil too... The tuba chairs in all of those are filled by the respective college profs of the university in that town, and you have to win an audition to get in, but it would not hurt to contact them -- as all groups have pickup groups too, and you will never know when a last minute sub is needed. Go to a concert and introduce yourself.

A good thing to do is to put together your own quintet -- while I was in undergrad, we had a quintet that made a killing doing local weddings in northern CO -- we had a great racket going on.

Of course, you could hop into your 4x4 and hit the highway and go to Denver -- rumor has it they have many bands and even British Brass band now...

Above all, the best way to find playing opportunites, be them pro or amateur or whatever is to get out and NETWORK.
Meet people who are doing what you want to do.

peace

joe

Follow Ups: