Re: Re: Re: Marching Band Approach

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike on May 28, 2003 at 16:11:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Marching Band Approach posted by A fellow tuba/contra on May 28, 2003 at 12:58:29:

I can't argue with that. While there are so many wonderful benefits of "sub-sectionals" (as we call it when just the tubas or whichever instrument rehearses together), there has to a lot of time devoted to full hornline rehearsals. I know at the Crossmen I can get my tubas to play together and sound really good, however things always change when they are put back into the horn arc. I can only rehearse so much in sub-sectionals, the rest happens in the arc and on the field.

I also agree about marching needs to be as effortless as possible. That's why we do lots of marching basics and visual rehearsals. The marching has to become second nature. The drill has to be second nature. It's too much to be thinking... okay, have good posture, roll my toes, march forward 6 steps, play my music... next thing you know you've been ran over by another marcher jazz running towards you with a 30 pound weapon on his shoulder.

Follow Ups: