Re: Recording a brass quintet

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mick-ie on May 28, 2003 at 01:05:35:

In Reply to: Recording a brass quintet posted by John Adams on May 27, 2003 at 10:07:58:

I've recorded quintets with a pair of cardioid microphones.

Even though the hearing patterns may be different with your microphones, you might want to consider the following factors:

- directional effectiveness of the French horn sound
- relative strength of the players (For instance, once I played in a very good quintet with a fine trombone player whose only fault was that he simply played too loudly. I tweaked the microphones' positions away from him and got a better recording balance than the live balance.)
- stereophonic effects, if desired... Frankly, I prefer balance of the group over any directional effects that one might wish to manipulate.

The trumpets', trombone's, and tuba's sounds will find their way to the recording. If the group has a good acoustic balance, favor the French horn with your microphone placement (unless your horn player is Dale Clevenger, etc.) and you will probably do well.

Do not place the microphones too close nor too far from the performers. Balance presence with resonance. If there is a choice, choose a room with "recital hall" resonance, rather than "concert hall" resonance.

I am not a recording tech, but I've done fairly well with minimal decent equipment and "seat of the pants" guesses on microphone placement.

Follow Ups: