Re: Re: Re: On the Subject of Mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 27, 2003 at 15:20:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: On the Subject of Mouthpieces posted by Semi-Anon on May 23, 2003 at 20:35:54:

I agree. I've compared my two Doug Elliott mouthpieces in all my tubas, with a trained listener helping me make judgments. Our conclusion is that the T6 cup/backbore combination makes a noticeable difference on the York Master, but makes nearly no audible difference on the Miraphone 186, when compared with the R4 combination. The R4 is about like a Conn Helleberg, which I would put in your category of "medium-deep cup with medium throat". The deep cup helps minimizes the Miraphone's ability to peel paint.

I have also played a PT-48 on the Miraphone, and it makes a commanding sound, though not what I would call beautiful. Yet that mouthpiece is my favorite so far on the Holton, where that "commanding" nature turns into friendliness. The mouthpieces that sound dark on the Miraphone are just muddy on the Holton.

The Doug Elliott R4 cup and backbore is similar to a Conn Helleberg, but another one in the same category is the Miraphone Rose Orchestra, which is a real possibility. I think it takes lots of control to manage the shallower C4-type mouthpieces without getting too laser-like.

Or so it all seems from this side of flabby chops.

Rick "who knows several Miraphone players who thing the Conn Helleberg is the mouthpiece to beat" Denney

Follow Ups: