Adding valves to Miraphone Eb (JS?)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Owner on May 25, 2003 at 14:04:44:

I recently bought a 4RV Miraphone Eb which has a front-facing (removable) bell- model No unknown.

Its 4 valves serve it adequately for some applications but I'm taken with the 6-Valve configuration of many F Tubas.

I'm in the UK and don't know of any actual stockists of Miraphone parts here. I have mailed Miraphone directly but not received a reply as yet. I wondered if any of you guys with experience in Miraphone parts (dealers?) could advise...

The horn needs a new leadpipe so I wondered whether a leadpipe and Valves 5&6 from a Miraphone F-TUBA (plus linkages for Left hand) may fit without huge problem? How about Valves 1&2 from an otherwise trashed instrument (Miraphone or other?)?

I would also like an upright bell conversion. Either:
* A full bell to attach to the bottom bow.
* The top piece of removable bell (measuring 147mm - outide Dia of Male part).
* A tapered section to replace the 'curved' part of the existing bell before the flare. (this is something I've heard JS explain far better...).

I'd like an idea of the sensibility of my ideas and, where possible, some idea of cost of parts (plus what YOU might expect to pay/charge for labour in the US).

If anyone knows of where I might obtain any of these parts I'd be most grateful :)

Regards,
MP

Follow Ups: