Re: Re: Re: a dumb post here

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ringin' my bell!! on May 23, 2003 at 16:02:24:

In Reply to: Re: Re: a dumb post here posted by TubaRay on May 23, 2003 at 14:27:44:

Boy, Ray, you have touched on something that has been driving me CRAZY the last few years. Have band and choir directors gone completely insane??

My daughters, both VERY talented and hard-working singers, were effectively dismissed from the school choir where we used to live in the Dallas area because we wouldn't pay for the RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED trips (year before last $600 apiece for a weekend in Houston (yeah, from Dallas!), last year $950 apiece for a weekend in Florida). Of course they weren't really kicked out, but were completely denied solos and left out of almost every number, certainly the most interesting ones, because they "needed someone who was going on the trip." The whole program is geared around the trip, not the music! It has gotten to where the main requirement for band & choir is not talent or dedication, but wealth.

I thought it must just be a N. Texas thing, but we've now moved to Tennessee and my son just came home talking about next years' band trip - to HAWAII!! It's going to be $1600 per student!! Incredible.

Joe Baker, who thinks schools need to have 'travel club' for students who want to take trips, and band for those who want to make music.

Follow Ups: