Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: a dumb post here

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 23, 2003 at 13:05:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: a dumb post here posted by Mary Ann on May 23, 2003 at 12:24:44:

The word criticize has changed its meaning in the last few decades. Criticism used to be an analysis of an art form so that a person who is presented with too many art choices can narrow the field a bit. Of late, though, it has come to mean finding fault with a particular performance.

If I hear a tuba player who has great technique but marginal musicianship, I describe the blinding technique. If I hear one who is a great musician but who stumbles on the technical bits, I talk about great musicianship. My approach seems to me to be appropriate for criticism. If someone reads my comments praising the great technical ability of a player, they will expect great technique and not other qualities, perhaps. Personally, I'm happy to see any great qualities being displayed and can learn from anyone.

A fellow played the Vaughan Williams at the Army conference a year or two back. I thought he was tremendously courageous. I expect that he had to endure some college student or hack hobbyist like me come up and say something like, "You know that Ab in measure 43 of the third movement? I always thought that should be played with a staccato attack..." In fact, he performed it pretty well. He certainly doesn't need some idiot like me picking nits.

So many people think criticism is an opportunity to display superior knowledge of the work or of musical performance ideals so that complaints can be lodged when the performer doesn't live up to those ideals. I rather think criticism is helping to identify reasons why a particular artist is deserving of an audience's time. To that end, if the performance is offensive, the non-professional reviewer might lead by example. If the performance isn't worth the audience's time, then it isn't worth my time to write about it.

That's why you tend to see only praise, and it's also why it doesn't bother me.

Rick "who has heard bad performances played with perfect technique, and great performances filled with nits to pick, and who actually enjoyed them both" Denney

Follow Ups: