Re: a dumb post here

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on May 23, 2003 at 09:08:25:

In Reply to: a dumb post here posted by js on May 23, 2003 at 02:34:19:

I suppose some of this would be related to what we hear on a recording as opposed to live performances.

I attended a live performance of a world class jazz trumpet legend last month after a 2 hour one way drive. (should have been 3 hours) I listened to the concert with a buddy, and we also listened to the comments made after the concert by some highly knowledgeable undergraduates in the crowd. Their comments ranged from the goofy (commented about sound problems that were blamed on the performer, and not the venue), to blending problems with the back-up group. (18 piece college big band). Many people were happy to hear the concert, but few were aware of the valueable gift they received when they heard one of the greatest jazz musicians of all time create music.

Most people don't account for the fact that you can record as many times as you wish to get the certain sound and effects you desire. Live music is a 1 shot deal. Personally, I enjoy live music more; especially when the magic of everything falling into place happens.

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: