Re: Re: Re: Thein tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on May 23, 2003 at 08:17:04:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Thein tubas posted by Tabor on May 20, 2003 at 23:30:28:

You would not wonder so much about the pricing if you were to 1) see how the Thein brothers so painstakingly go about their craft, and 2) play a few of their instruments.
Yes, I have visited Max and Heinrich Thein's shop several times, and have played a number of their instruments. I have owned one of their bass trombones since April 1987, and every time I pull it out of the case I know it was worth every cent of the $3,000.00+ I paid for it. Their metal is not paper-thin unless you want it that way, and the quality of the metal is exceptional. For the same reason that some Jupiters have serious red-rot within 3 years, my Thein still looks like new, inside and out after 16 years of use. In fact, I have completely cleaned it only three times since I bought it - the metal seems to be nearly corrosion-proof. If my finances allowed, I would own a Thein tuba.
If you have any questions for them, contact them through their web site. One of them speaks English well, and they are very friendly folk.

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: