Re: a dumb post here

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on May 23, 2003 at 08:00:37:

In Reply to: a dumb post here posted by js on May 23, 2003 at 02:34:19:

It does make you wonder.

FWIW, a few years ago I flew to a major metropolitan area to hear one of my heros play a piece I am very familiar with. I was very excited. He did sound great on everything except for the "solo" in one movement upon which he switched to a different tuba. That sounded OK, but not much better than the average practice room jock. However, once he switched back, he sounded even better then before (probably pissed off) and proceded to make the trip worth while, along with the playing of the rest of the ensemble.

I think most of us understand that people are human, and when it comes to our "heros" we really let the stuff that is par and below slide and focus on the good.

I think trumpet players are the only ones who can really be hyper-critical, at least about another trumpet players performance, but even they are more mild when it comes to their "heros".

I think that most of us subscribe to the Golden Rule in this case.

However, even the best there is will have his/her off day. That is human nature. They will also have their on day, too, where everything does sound fantastic, monumental, etc.

Matt G

Follow Ups: