Re: MW 2000/orchestras/auditionees

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on May 23, 2003 at 04:52:31:

In Reply to: MW 2000/orchestras/auditionees posted by Survey/question on May 22, 2003 at 14:32:36:

Knowing what horn someone plays looks like a good way to justify the purchase of a particular brand and model. The problem lies in the fact it may not sound good when you play on it.

I play a MW2000 and love it. Someone else, currently in a major orchestra, played my horn just after I had decided on it because he was curious to see how it sounded. I have to say I would have never chosen the horn if I had just listened to this person play the horn. I tried the following horns before deciding on the 2000 : Hirsbrunner, Nirschl, B&S 6, 6P, 20, Kalison, Willson, 2155, and a couple I don't remember.

The use of a particular horn won't guarantee your success. You're the only one that can do that. There are dozens of good horns available for purchase. After playing as many horns as you can, then, and only then, can you make an intelligent decision.

By the way, the perfect horn doesn't exist. There are some that, for you, are better, but none are perfect. The MW 2000 and its' counterpart 45 SLP were the fit for me and for several others. Many of us have had several instruments. Making the first major purchase is scary considering the high $$'s it takes. Take your time and get the right fit for now. You'll probably change your mind at least once.

Follow Ups: