Re: are Band Directors Musicians?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Texas Teacher on May 20, 2003 at 19:42:59:

In Reply to: are Band Directors Musicians? posted by Tuba Ply/BandDir on May 20, 2003 at 16:30:37:

In regards to only what has been posted, I do understand B.D. #2's frustration. Scales are absolutetly essential and chances are, after teaching at a 3A school that required those scales myself, those kids couldn't comprehend the etudes. Most of those small school kids couldn't read any rhythms or even know note names, let alone fingerings. I had to spend some time teaching those kids note names, simple rhythms, and basically how to read music before we could attempt the etudes. Once they learned the basics, we were able to make music and get somewhere.

Unfortunately, I've seen too many high school band directors that were more concerned with winning competitions and getting first divisions than they were about making music and instilling that love of music in their students. I was lucky enough to have a high school director that wanted to always make beautiful music and have fun and do it for the love of making music. Of course we got first divisions, but that wasn't as important as what I took from it. Of course the administration and the community needed to see it, and it is important to most students esteem and self-worth. But 1st divisions aren't what keep us going in music.

When I was studying in college for my bachelor's in education, I saw 90% of the college students wanting to only win things and completely missed the point of music. I think that is a huge problem with several, of course not all, band directors in Texas. I don't care if my kids miss a note or two, as long as they are making music, feeling some emotion while doing it, and making some sort of communication through the art form of music. So if those kids don't learn those scales, who cares what chair they get, they won't be able to learn how to make music. I worry that many teachers are only teaching fingerings. If that's all they teach, music won't last to the next millenium. I think that has part of the reason why orchestras are folding and maybe even why so many chose not to attend the Regional ITEC. The society isn't caring for music and a lot of people are just counting missed pitches.
Point is, teach music. Motivate them to love it and live it. Keep it alive. If they can't read a scale or play a scale, chances are they won't be playing anything beautiful anytime soon. I'm in a place now where I have got to keep fighting just to keep the program running. I agree with #2. #1 sounds like the kids I went to college with. Those scales were needed for those kids that fundamentally missed something important down the road. I love my students like my own kids, and I'm not going to let anyone miss something, just because I didnt' feel like working for them.

Sorry about the rant. That post brought out my immediate concern.

Follow Ups: