Re: are Band Directors Musicians?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on May 20, 2003 at 19:02:31:

In Reply to: are Band Directors Musicians? posted by Tuba Ply/BandDir on May 20, 2003 at 16:30:37:

While I have seen some great musicians who do not have any desire to lead groups, I have yet to see too many good to great directors who have not been at least good performers at some point in their life.

Before all of the flame throwers start, hear me out.

Many of us have set through rehearsals with directors in front of us who are able to pull music out of bricks, much less musicians. I recall some of the directors whose bands I have been honored to be a part, and I recall that they are also high class performers on their particular instruments. Part of their success in my estimation is that they spend time on their instrument in practice and performance outside their own particular ensembles.

We have also encountered the director that steps on the podium and looks like a brick, and has about the same ability musically. When you hear them play, they produce the same results as breathtaking as watching dust crawl.

On the same direction, I feel that I learn more as a conductor when I sit under the baton of someone else on a regular basis. By performing in ensembles, I gain insight into how I like to conduct.

If the director is going to be successful, then he or she has to be musical. Personally, I have learned more from, and enjoyed the results of the musical conductor that can and does continue to play their instrument.

FWIW

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: