Re: are Band Directors Musicians?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Stefan on May 20, 2003 at 18:00:10:

In Reply to: are Band Directors Musicians? posted by Tuba Ply/BandDir on May 20, 2003 at 16:30:37:

I think Band Director 2 was out of line when he gets into his tirade about being a musician. Maybe that is somewhat of an outgrowth of the original topic, but it was an attack. Unless the 2 people know each other, it is mighty bold of #2 to assume that #1 is no musician just because he doesn't want to teach scales. Although, I do agree that scales are an important part of a musician's education.

As far as band directors being musicians, I believe that band directors who regularly play their instrument (practice, perform) have an advantage. Not to say that directors who quit playing cannot be great directors - because many are. I know that the fact that I practice, perform, and listen regularly helps me to be a better teacher. I also think it is important to be a role model to the students as far as being a musician. Show them that you do enjoy music and that you can continue to play into adulthood.

Stefan Antwarg

Follow Ups: